Institute for Marine Research Data Controller and Owner
Types of Data collected
Institute for Marine Research Data Controller does provide a list of Personal Data types collected.
We collect the following personal data:
What personal information do we hold?
- Personal and contact details such as title, full name, contact details and address.
- Your date of birth and gender.
- Family members (if applies).
How is personal information collected?
- Personal information may be collected with the consent of the user by way of interactive submission or indirect submission via an Institute for Marine Research hard or soft copy process.
How does INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH use this information?
There are various reasons why personal information is gathered electronically which includes but is not limited to;
- Provision of electronic services that require a user’s authenticity to be established.
- Provision of other services offered by INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH.
- Participation in electronic surveys
- Participation in events offered by INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH
Information gathered with the explicit consent of the user will only be used for the purpose for which it was intended except in those circumstances where INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH must provide it to fulfil statutory obligations. INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH may use personal details to contact users directly for the purposes of obtaining further information needed to fulfil the original purpose.
INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH may use personal information to contact users by electronic or physical means including but not limited to;
- Sending e-mail to those that have requested it
- Telephoning users to obtain additional information and clarification
- Other electronic and physical correspondence.
Information that is gathered automatically without the explicit consent of the user will not be used by INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH to identify an individual. INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH may use this information for the purposes of demographic and statistical reporting with the purpose of enhancing the services that it offers to INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH members and other users. INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH may make this information available to others to fulfil its statutory obligations.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal information?
We rely on the following legal bases to use your personal data:
Where it is needed to provide you with our services to you as a member, such as:
- Processing an application for a membership subscription you hold with us, including the price, the payment methods available and the conditions to attach.
- Managing your subscription with us, or an application for one.
- Updating your records to keep you up to date with your subscription and contact you regarding renewal.
Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, such as:
- Updating your records to keep you up to date with your subscription and contact you regarding renewal.
- To perform and/or test the performance of our service to members and internal processes
- For management and audit of our business operations including accounting
- To carry out monitoring and to keep records of our communications with you and our staff
- To administer our good governance requirements such as internal reporting and compliance obligations or administration required for AGM processes and elections to council.
- For market research and analysis and developing statistics
To comply with our legal obligations.
How long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we’ll hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we have reasonable needs, such as managing our relationship with you and managing our service to you as a member
- For as long as we provide services to you as a member
- Retention periods in line with legal and regulatory requirements or guidance.
What should you do if your personal information changes?
You should tell us so that we can update our records by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll then update your records if we can.
Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
We’re unable to provide you with our services to you as a member if you do not provide certain information to us. In cases where providing some personal information is optional, we’ll make this clear.
What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don’t apply in all circumstances. If you wish to use any of them, we’ll explain at that time if they are engaged or not. The right of data portability is only relevant from May 2018.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH reserves the right to charge an administration fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive. INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH may also charge an administration fee to comply with requests for further copies of the same information.
The INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH Data Protection Notification (registration Z8893394) may be viewed by visiting the Data Information Commissioners website.
Your right to object
You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests. You can contact us by contacting email@example.com to exercise these rights.
What are your marketing preferences and what do they mean?
We may use your home address, phone numbers, email address and social media or digital channels (for example, Facebook, Google and message facilities in other platforms) to contact you according to your marketing preferences. You can stop our marketing at any time by contacting us at or by following the instructions in the communication.
INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH will take reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal data it gathers in the course of operating electronic computer systems will be kept securely and within the control of INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH at all times. INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH will take reasonable precautions to ensure that all representations made for and on behalf of INSTITUTE FOR MARINE RESEARCH will be clearly identifiable.
Changes to this privacy notice
We may change this privacy notice from time to time by updating this page in order to reflect changes in the law and/or our privacy practices. We encourage you to check this privacy notice for changes whenever you revisit our website.
The current policy can also be obtained on request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, or if you wish to exercise your rights or contact the Data Protection Officer, email@example.com
The Personal Data may be freely provided by the User, or collected automatically when using this website.
Failure to provide certain Personal Data may make it impossible for this website to provide its services.
Users are responsible for any Personal Data of third parties obtained, published or shared through this website and confirm that they have the third party’s consent to provide the Data to Institute for Marine Research Data Controller.
Mode and place of processing the Data
Methods of processing
The Institute for Marine Research Data Controller processes the Data of Users in a proper manner and shall take appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data.
The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of the site (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as third party technical service providers, mail carriers, hosting providers, IT companies, communications agencies) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by Institute for Marine Research Data Controller. The updated list of these parties may be requested from the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller at any time.
The Data is processed at the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller’s operating offices at Mayong Tubig, dauin, Negros Oriental and in any other places where the parties involved with the processing are located. For further information, please contact the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller.
The Data is kept for the time necessary to provide the service requested by the User, or stated by the purposes outlined in this document, and the User can always request that the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller suspend or remove the data.
Additional information about Data collection and processing
The User’s Personal Data may be used for legal purposes by the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller, in Court or in the stages leading to possible legal action arising from improper use of this website or the related services.
The User declares to be aware that the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller may be required to reveal personal data upon request of public authorities.
Additional information about User’s Personal Data
System Logs and Maintenance
For operation and maintenance purposes, this website and any third party services may collect files that record interaction with this website (System Logs) or use for this purpose other Personal Data (such as IP Address).
Information not contained in this policy
More details concerning the collection or processing of Personal Data may be requested from the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller at any time. Please see the contact information at the beginning of this document.
The rights of Users
Users have the right, at any time, to know whether their Personal Data has been stored and can consult the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller to learn about their contents and origin, to verify their accuracy or to ask for them to be supplemented, cancelled, updated or corrected, or for their transformation into anonymous format or to block any data held in violation of the law, as well as to oppose their treatment for any and all legitimate reasons. Requests should be sent to the Institute for Marine Research Data Controller at the contact information set out above.
This website does not support “Do Not Track” requests.
To determine whether any of the third party services it uses honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.